Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Tribute to Schatze

On June 24th, our great pooch Schatze went to dog heaven.  It was a hard day for us all.  We got Schatze 2 months before Carlos and I got married, so she has been a constant for our family for over 11 years.  Here's a picture of her one litter of puppies.  They looked like cute little bear cubs. 

As big and scary looking as Schatze could be, she was the most gentle dog I've ever seen around babies and kids.  Here's Rivers at age 1 1/2 giving her a smooch. 

 She was even tolerant of little dogs that snapped at her all the time :)
We were told by a vet a year ago that Schatze had 3 days to live at the most so we all grieved for days and treated her like a queen.  Rivers said a prayer that Schatze would live long enough to make it to the farm (because we were planning our move to Oregon) and amazingly Schatze got better after a few days and got to live her last 9 months relaxing at the farm. 


When Rivers and I slept out on the deck Schatze would always take my place if I ever got out of bed.   

She was such a huggable, gentle dog.  I have pictures of all my kids like this with Schatze.


She's always loved snow.  I remember being so impressed when I took her with me on a 9 mile run in the mountains through snow the whole way and she probably ran 15 miles from running up and back and all around me the whole time.  That was my favorite memory with her. 
We'll miss you Schatze!  Rest in peace.

No comments: